The Seneca Waterways Council and the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America provides for liability insurance and secondary accident and sickness insurance for all registered members of the organization. 

Council Accident and Sickness Insurance
Automobile Liability Insurance Policy
General Liability Insurance
Certificate of Insurance

Questions about insurance or risk management can be sent to or by calling Camping & Program Support at 585-241-8545.  

Council Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan

Secondary Accident and Sickness Insurance has been purchased by Seneca Waterways Council for all packs, troops, teams, crews and posts. This plan provides some coverage for accidental injury, illness, accidental death and dismemberment while participating in any approved and supervised Scouting activity, including going to and from meetings. All registered youth and adult volunteers are covered. Non-Scouts attending scheduled activities (including group travel to and from such activities) for the purpose of being encouraged to participate in Scouting are also automatically covered. However, the plan does not cover parents, siblings or other guests.

Additional highlights of the Council-provided coverage include:

  • The policy is excess to any other available source of medical benefits if the charges are greater than $300. 
  • If the total charges are less than $300, the insurance will pay without other insurance coordination. 
  • The insurance plan is an “excess” insurance plan from the first dollar up to the plan limits. 
  • The policy is “primary” for any family or Scout with no other insurance coverage. 
  • New members are automatically covered as soon as their applications for membership are processed. 
  • Travelling to and from a unit meeting or other approved and supervised Scouting activity is covered under this plan. 
  • Coverage applies for injuries received while attending an approved Scouting activity or if a sickness first manifests itself while there. 
  • If an accident occurs, complete the current insurance claim form found on our website and file it directly with Health Special Risk Inc. at the address they provide. 

Proof of Accident and Sickness Insurance is sent to each unit in the charter packet. Requests for proof of insurance can also be send to

For all serious incidents, accidents and/or sickness, or if a summons is served on a volunteer, please notify the council immediately. Council Accident Report forms need to be completed for any event requiring medical or special attention.

Automobile Liability Insurance Policy

All vehicles MUST be covered by an owner’s liability insurance policy. The amount of this coverage must meet or exceed the insurance requirement of the state in which the vehicle is licensed. (It is recommended that coverage limits are at least $100,000 combined single limit.) Any vehicle carrying 10 or more passengers is required to have limits of $500,000 combined single limit. In the case of rented vehicles, the requirement of coverage limits can be met by combining the limits of personal coverage carried by the driver with coverage carried by the owner of the rented vehicle. All vehicles used for travel outside the United States must carry a liability insurance policy that complies with or exceeds the requirements of that country. 


Comprehensive General Liability Insurance

This coverage provides primary general liability coverage for registered volunteer Scouters with respect to claims arising out of an official Scouting activity with the exception that the coverage is excess over any insurance available to the volunteer for loss arising from the ownership, maintenance, or use of a motor vehicle or watercraft. This insurance is only available while the vehicle or watercraft is in the actual use of a Scouting unit and being used for a Scouting purpose. Coverage is for bodily injury and property damage.

Due to the high limits of our coverage, volunteers should NOT be placed in a position where their assets are jeopardized because of a negligence liability claim or lawsuit.

The insurance provided unregistered Scouting volunteers through the BSA general liability insurance program is excess over any other insurance the volunteer has to his or her benefit, usually a homeowner’s, personal liability, or auto liability policy.

There is no coverage for those who commit intentional or criminal acts.


Certificates of Liability Insurance

A certificate of insurance is either proof that a unit is covered by the comprehensive general liability insurance or is proof of insurance plus a document that adds another organization to our general liability insurance for a defined period of time. If an organization requests a certificate of insurance, please follow the following steps:

  1. Complete the Certificate of Insurance Request form
  2. Obtain a copy of the agreement to be signed with the organization requesting the certificate.
  3. If not included in the agreement, include specific insurance requirements from the organization
  4. Send all documents via e-mail to

Certificates take up to two weeks to be completed and parts of the process are outside of our local control. Please be sure to give adequate time when a certificate of insurance is being requested.

Download:  Certificate of Insurance Request Form (PDF)