High Adventure in the Adirondacks!
Just Imagine… paddling through lakes and ponds connected by beautiful winding streams… the fresh scent of balsam fir fills the air… the day is new and you and your crew mates are ready for adventure.
As you go, you stop to snack on wild blueberries, still covered with dew. After lunch you set camp on an island in the middle of a tranquil pond. You spot a moose across the way.
Later in the day you portage to a trail head, cache your gear, and head for the summit of a peak for some afternoon top time. At dusk you hear the slap of a beaver’s tail on the water. That night you drift off to sleep to the haunting call of a loon. Early the next morning, you rise before dawn… gear-up, and head out to fish by water’s edge.
Sounds way too good to be true? Well it’s not… because located in the very heart of the Adirondack Mountains the Adventure Of A Lifetime is waiting for you.
Based at Massawepie Scout Camps, the Massawepie Adirondack Trek Center offers all Scouts and Scouters canoeing, backpacking, and combination treks during the months of July and August. Trek groups can participate in established trek destinations throughout the 2.6-million-acre Adirondack Forest preserve, or can customize their own. Rock climbing, rappelling and mountain biking options are also available.
Treks are organized by individual Scouting units or councils. Trek participants must be age 13 by January 1 of the trek year. The size of each trek group is determined by the itinerary and is subject to state conservation law group limits. See each trek description for maximum group sizes.
2019 Trek Dates
Session # 1 – June 30 – July 6
Session # 2 – July 7 – July 13
Session # 3 – July 14 – July 20
Session # 4 – July 21 – July 27
Session # 5 – July 28 – August 3
Session # 6 – August 4 – August 10
6 Day Treks –
Begin on Sunday after lunch and conclude Saturday after breakfast with the first and last night’s stay at the Massawepie base camp area. Cost of trek is $450 per person with a five person minimum.
3 Day Treks –
Massawepie also offers 3-day treks that begin on either Sunday or Thursday (your choice). Cost of trek is $300 per person with a five person minimum. Extend your stay at Massawepie Scout Camps at Camp Pioneer by adding a three day trek to the beginning or the end of your stay at one of the premier traditional Boy Scout summer camps in the Adirondacks.
New in 2019 – SOLO TREKS
For those Scouts who would like to participate in a Trek program without their Troop or Crew! Solo Treks can be the ideal program for the Scout who falls short of having a full crew for his trek. Bring a friend or have unique experience with a parent! Meet new people from across the Council or country.
2019 Provo Trek Schedule
- Massawepie Own (Session #1)– Visit the various Outpost on Massawepie’s 4000 acres. This is both a Canoeing & backpacking trip.
- Ebenezer Emmons (Session #2) – Backpacking Trek over mountains that lead to Mt.Emmons, a remote peak in the Seward Range!
- Paul Smith Trek (Session #3)– Canoe trek through the St.Regis lakes region with amazing shoreside campsites and great place for brook trout fishing.
- High Peaks/St. Regis Sampler (Session #4) – Perfect for the busy Scout who wants variety. Canoeing, backpacking, hiking, bushwhacking, and high peaks climbing all through the historic St.Regis area.
- Cranberry 50 (Session #5)– Hiking and canoeing through Cranberry Lake forest region. Come discover why so many return here every year.
- Oswegatchie River Trek (Session #6) – Beaver Dams, Waterfalls, and rapids can all be found along the Oswegatchie River. If you enjoy canoeing, then you should enjoy this trek.
Download the 2019 Trek Reservation Form
Download the 2019 SOLO Trek Reservation Form
To register online and for additional info, Click https://scoutingevent.com/397-Adirondacktreks
Got questions about theupcoming SOLO Treks? Contact TREKS@senecawaterways.org